When Ben was Three months old, his doctor was concerned about his head circumference. He also had a flat head. We had to go get an ultrasound done on his head (which he behaved quite well for) and nothing unusual turned up . We were then referred to Children's Neuro in Lowell and from there referred to Children's in Little Rock to a cranial doctor who referred us to physical therapy for a helmet. They put this little white stocking on his head that made him look stinking adorable while they took imaging of his head. They then instructed us to come back in two weeks for the helmet. The flatness of his head and widening on the sides is due to something called Brachycephaly.
Before I continue, I must say that I kicked myself over this because I felt the shape of his head to be my fault. The only time my baby was on his back was while he slept at night. And don't get me started on tummy time. We did tummy time faithfully everyday and it tended to end with huge fits from Ben and tears from me. I did some research on this was relieved that I wasn't alone. Many babies have this problem. There are a variety of factors, but the main one is sleeping on their back. Does anyone remember the SIDS campaign? Back in the '90s and early 2000s doctors told us that babies needed to sleep on their back because they could get SIDS. I am not disagreeing with doctors whatsoever. However, I uncovered a rather interesting fact. Before the SIDS campaign only 1 in about 400 babies had flat heads. Since the SIDS campaign, 1 in 10 babies have flat heads! I was amazed by how many. And while I still do feel like somehow this is my fault from time to time, I realize I am not alone and many moms, good moms, deal with this too. So, we went to Little Rock to get his helmet.
My sister Cami said it looked like Magneto's helmet. I couldn't help but agree but insisted it was a superhero's helmet. It wouldn't be a wrong statement. Ben is my little superhero. This helmet is really tight and formed to fit his head. Yesterday, his first day with it, he had to wear it one hour on, one hour off. He really really really doesn't like the helmet. Yesterday was hard. But I did manage a few smiles from him. Especially when daddy held him ;)
Benjamin is perfect. He has nothing wrong with him neurologically and his brain functions just fine. Our baby is healthy and intelligent. We are just correcting a flat head because we love him. Mostly I am posting this for well meaning friends and family who have asked, and will continue to ask us questions.We are doing this because we want him to have a normal head shape. We love him and care about him. He is after all, our little superhero.

No comments:
Post a Comment