Saturday, November 30, 2013
Fall Fun
I just wanted to add an update to Ben's progress. So far Ben's still not crazy about the helmet. Every time we have to put it on after a bath, Ben tends to get fussy and complain for a few minutes. After that initial indignation on his part, he generally forgets he's wearing it and has fun. For the most part, the helmet has just become a regular part of our routine. There are only a few instances in which I don't like it at all. Firstly, when my baby gets a skin irritation from wearing it. As a parent, it's very hard to see your baby uncomfortable in any way. Thankfully, he doesn't get these often. Secondly, can any parent relate to those moments when your precious angel decides to headbutt you? Usually this happens when baby is cranky, hence the headbutting. Or, you lean down and your baby throws his/her head back. When this occurs, I feel fortunate that he has his helmet, because it doesn't hurt him. However, speaking as the one receiving the headbutting, this actually does hurt. (imagine a bowling ball smashing into your nose for a visual if you like) Lastly, Ben does have to wear his helmet at night and this worries me at times. I am one of those parents who sneaks into the nursery at night just to make sure he is still breathing. You can imagine, since the helmet, Rian and I both check on him more at night.
Now, I must now say something I was pleasantly surprised about since Ben started wearing the helmet. We have not received any "looks" since the helmet. You know what I am talking about. Everyone has given them and has received them at one point or another in their life. The kid in the store who throws a fit for a toy (look.) That lady in the ten items or less check out with twenty items (look, actually glare if we are honest). When we first started wearing the helmet I was expecting this, though not nervous about this. Instead, I was delightfully astounded by the people of my small Ozark town. Everyone Ben and I see while out and about genuinely compliment his adorable helmet. Several people have even come up to me and shared stories of their friends' or relatives' babies who have had to wear a helmet. I appreciate my town and the people of it, especially those who have shared their stories with us, without even knowing us.
Rian has made me aware of an important fact I would like to clarify here: Ben's helmet is actually more like Mega Man than Magneto. I found this fact to be true after a heated debate and my husband pulling out his Mega Man shirt ;) I also would like to further clarify that my baby's superhero nickname is now officially: MegaCuteness!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment